RSS

Chicken-Broccoli skillet casserole


Speaking of home-made cream-of-chicken soup...
My oven is still broken. I wanted a chicken-broccoli-rice-cheese casserole. So I improvised a skillet version. I didn't have any cream-of-chicken (only cream-of-mushroom), so I made my own!

I cooked some onion and chicken in some oil in a deep skillet. A whole onion and one chicken breast (two would've been better, but I only had one). When the chicken was nearly cooked, I added one finely diced clove of garlic.

Meanwhile, in another pot I cooked some rice. 1c uncooked rice + 2c water + .5 cube chicken bouillon.

Then I added to the skillet about a cup of water. I scraped my spatula around the bottom of the pan to get all the goodbits of chicken/onion. I added half a cube of chicken bouillon. When that was simmering, I added just over 1c milk (mixed with 1.5tbsp corn starch). Let that simmer and thicken. At this stage I also added a thick slice of Velveeta cheese (about 1/2 and inch slice).

When the cheese was melted and the sauce thickened, I decided to add a little more cheese. A few grates of cheap old cheddar. Just for kick.

Then I mixed in the broccoli/cauliflower mix. I used all I had left, maybe 2 cups.

Then I tossed in the cooked rice. Mixed it up and yum! Of course, my broccoli/cauliflower was still cold, so I let it simmer on the stove a little longer. So next time I will definitely cook the broccoli first, or add it earlier.

I sprinkled some paprika over our individual servings for a little spunk. :)
0 comments

Posted in

Post a Comment

DML. Powered by Blogger.