RSS

Homemade Hummus and Pita Chips


Homemade Hummus
  • 1 can chickpeas, drained
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 2tbsp lemon juice
  • 1-2tbsp olive oil
  • salt & pepper 
Blend all ingredients in a food processor, add salt & pepper to taste. I was loosely following a recipe that called for 1tbsp olive oil, I'd seen others that called for 3. I put in one and it was too thick so I drizzled in some more. I also added about a tbsp of the leftover juice from the chickpeas.  I even considered adding a jalepeno pepper, but changed my mind. Good thing, too, since just having it in contact with the ingredients briefly (and a tiny bit of chopping that only took out a tiny tiny piece) was enough to spice it up a bit! If I had any sundried tomatoes or roasted red peppers on hand, I would try adding those. Perhaps next time.

Homemade Pita Chips
  • Pitas (stale ones work fine!)
  • olive oil
  • salt
  • seasonings, if you like
Chop the pitas into triangles and split them.  Brush with olive oil (just the smooth side is fine), sprinkle with salt. You can also sprinkle with seasonings such as garlic or onion powder (or garlic/onion salt, if you omit the regular salt), chili powder, etc.  Place on a baking sheet and bake at 350 for 5-10 minutes, but watch them closely. I baked mine in the toaster oven, it took just over 5 minutes at 350.

Once the hummus is made, this is a quick and easy snack! You can even dip veggies in the hummus for a healthy snack. (And my kids love it!)

Cost Breakdown:


Chickpeas     $0.69
Pitas$1.00
Garlic/Lemon/oil    $.50
Total$2.19

Okay, so I'm totally guessing on the Garlic/Lemon/oil cost. It takes so little... Also, the hummus makes such a big batch you could freeze half of it. And the pita chips go a long way also, one pita easily makes enough chips for one person. The $1 packages I buy have 5 pitas,so that's 5 servings. And that won't even use half of the hummus. Of course, you can always serve the hummus with veggies, too. Or use it as a yummy spread. :)
0 comments

Posted in

Post a Comment

DML. Powered by Blogger.